ONE CHURCH. TWO LOCATIONS.    BOULDER    ERIE      SUNDAYS / 9 & 10:30AM
Our History

Calvary Bible Church has a long history, beginning in Boulder in 1889 by four families who came to Boulder from Sweden. Since then, Calvary has remained committed to "Building a Christ-centered community of people, fully devoted to loving God and loving others." Here our some highlights from our more than 120 years of history.

  • 1889
  • 1892
  • 1905
  • 1920
  • 1943
  • 1943
  • 1949
  • 1950
  • 1952
  • 1961
  • 1964
  • 1971
  • 1972
  • 1977
  • 1979
  • 1982
     
  • 1993
  • 1998
     
  • 2003
  •  
     
     
  •  
     
     
     
     
  •  
     
  • 2004
     
  • 2005
     
  • 2006
     
  • 2009
     
     
  • 2010
     
     
     
     
     
  • 2011
  • Inaugural Service: Swede Christian Tabernacle on 17th St. & Spruce
  • Name changed to Swedish Evangelical Free Church
  • Calling of first pastor - Axel Ohlson
  • Calling of first full time pastor – Oscar Bolander
  • Joined Rocky Mountain District of Evangelical Free Churches of America (EFCA)
  • Services first conducted in English
  • Name changed to Calvary Bible Church of Boulder, Colorado
  • Planted Calvary Evangelical Free Church of Broomfield
  • Church moved to 2805 Broadway (Corner of Broadway & Balsam)
  • Called Senior Pastor R. W. Hauser (7 years)
  • Helped plant Southern Gables church in Littleton
  • Called Senior Pastor Bob Culbertson (22 years)
  • Purchase of 10 acres on Kalmia Avenue
  • Ground breaking on our 10 acres on Kalmia Avenue
  • Dedication of new church building on Kalmia Avenue
  • Helped plant Trinity Bible Evangelical Free Church of Lafayette, which later became Flatirons Church
  • Called current Senior Pastor Tom Shirk
  • Building addition completed in Boulder - adding our Fellowship Hall and expanding space for kids and student ministry
  • Launched the Kingdom Assignments to awaken our compassion for the world
  • First Kingdom Assignment - 100 Calvary volunteers were given $100 each and asked to multiply it and give it away outside the walls of our church. More than $45,000 was given away
  • Second Kingdom Assignment - 200 Calvary volunteers sold a possession worth more than $100 and brought the proceeds to a special offering. We raised more than $83,000 and gave 90 percent away to four social service agencies in Boulder county that served the poor; the remaining 10 percent went to another church in Boulder County to start their own Kingdom Assignments
  • Third Kingdom Assignment - 400 Calvary volunteers committed to 90 minutes of service in the community over the course of 90 days
  • Final Kingdom Assignment - 700 Calvary volunteers refurbished three schools in Boulder in our first Sharefest
  • Sharefest expanded to include three churches and 1,400 volunteers serving at five schools
  • Launched our Second Campus, Calvary Bible Church in Erie, meeting at Erie High School
  • Sharefest grew to 45 churches and 4500 volunteers serving at 135 sites - estimating $1.5 million worth of labor from more than 14,000 volunteers over its six year history
  • Special Christmas eve offering raised more than $170,000 for three organizations around the world: helping the Colorado Friends of The Lost Boys of Sudan build a School and Community Center in Dak Payuel, Sudan, partnering with Kids Against Hunger to provide thousands of meals for the people of Haiti, and supporting women and children in abusive situations through the Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Nonviolence
  • Purchased 11 acres in Erie for the building of the permanent home of our Erie Campus. More detail about this project can be found at the Our Next Step page